Wednesday, June 16, 2010

How One Breast Cancer Survivor Found Strength in Journaling

While Kathy and I have not met in person, I suspect that we are kindred spirits. We are both breast cancer survivors who love parties! I thrive on having a house filled with friends and family, and I usually don’t let party preparations stress me out. Honestly, entertaining is just something that gets easier with practice. If you keep the basics on hand at all times, then you will be able to get ready for company in a snap.


When I was going through treatment in 2006, I launched a major backyard renovation. During chemo and while recovering from a bilateral mastectomy I managed a big, messy construction project. At the time, I liked the idea that I was investing in something that would be wonderful for years to come—it was like making a statement that “Yes, I really do believe that I will be around for many more years.”

One of the best things that came out of my breast cancer experience was that I strengthened my journaling habit. I had been keeping a journal on and off for many years, but I brought everything to my journal after my diagnosis. I went deep. The journal became a safe place for me to process fear, but it was also a way for me to contain that fear. It kept my days from being all-about-cancer-all-day-long. Now, I facilitate journaling workshops for cancer patients and caregivers. I have a group that meets monthly. We write together, we read our writing aloud, and we learn from each other. It often feels like there is a bit of magic in the room.

A great way to combine entertaining and journaling is to keep a notebook about the events you have hosted. What was on the menu? Who were the guests? What worked well and what didn’t work so well? Just imagine a notebook filled with the details of your gatherings and celebrations—it would become a treasure.

Thank you Jayne for your great journaling insights and tips; they will surely give my journal a whole new life. Jayne England Byrne and I met on Twitter and connected immediately. Jayne has used her breast cancer journey to help others through journaling and has a great blog to get you started with your journaling. Get your pens ready and head over to http://journalingwithjayne.com/ for great journaling tips. Visit http://jaynesbreastcancerblog.com/ to read about Jayne’s breast cancer journey and beyond.

Best wishes to Jayne and thank you for celebrating with us!

Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment