Monday, April 26, 2010

Friends Helping Through Breast Cancer

Do you have a friend who was recently diagnosed with breast cancer and don’t know how to help? Sometimes we feel awkward and helpless when one of our friends announces that she now belongs to a new club that none of the rest of her friends belongs to. Being a breast cancer survivor myself, I know how that feels. I was the first and thankfully, still only one of my friends to go through cancer. Being in the club, you speak a whole different lingo, go places you’ve never been before, meet all sorts of new people and endure things you never thought you would. All of which are off the radar with everyone else except your immediate family.

Even though your friends don’t belong to the club, they want to help I any way they can. Being the strong person that you are, you want to put on a happy face every day and be the friend that you were prior to joining the club. You don’t want this beast to be an inconvenience for anyone else except you (and maybe your hubby) so you turn down offers for help. Thankfully one of my dear friends who routinely asked to take me to treatment, I of course said I was fine, was strong enough to look me in the eye and let me know that I was denying her of quality time with me and of preventing her from doing something that she really wanted to do. I didn’t realize that by not allowing others to do for me when they so wanted to, I was being selfish and only thinking of me. Your friends who offer to help, they really do want to, they are not only doing it for you but for them too. So, let them! This was one of the most valuable life lessons I learned on my journey, graciously allow others to give of themselves, it makes them feel a part of it and gives them a feeling of joy.

Lesson for the day…when your friends offer help, please let them, you are denying them of their God given right to feel good about helping others and why not let the ‘others’ be you? Hope this helps make your journey better, it did mine…Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment