Monday, April 5, 2010

Cherry Blossoms - A Must on Anyone's Bucket List

One of the things I love most about living in the Washington DC area is looking forward to the spectacular show around the Tidal Basin each and every spring. I think I speak for all of us in the metro area…after the winter we just endured; we deserve this gorgeous weather and the splendor of the cherry blossoms. So, when a friend suggested a field trip I said let’s go!

Yes, there were crowds and bringing your patience was a must, but well worth it. There were thousands of people of all ages (code for lots of strollers and canes) trying to make their way around the basin. And did I mention they stopped every few feet to get the same picture yet at a different angle from the one taken just a few feet ago? And yes, they also needed a photographer to get the whole group in the photo to prove they really were at the cherry blossoms. All of this picture taking really slows down the pace and works up quite an appetite.

The weather couldn’t be better, and after making it around the basin we hit the streets looking for the perfect sidewalk cafĂ© to have lunch. We weren’t the only ones with that idea (remember the thousands of people I mentioned earlier, they all must have had the same great idea) so we walked and walked before we settled on Elephant & Castle. They had a great menu with great food, would highly recommend it. We had a great lunch, great conversation and it wouldn't be a perfect day in Washington without seeing a motorcade. We got to see Joe, got his pic too but my camera speed didn't do him justice :).

Since I want to share my spectacular pictures with you, I have to admit that yes indeed, I did take a few pictures but swear I didn’t stop every few feet. If you didn’t make it to see the blossoms this year, here is what you missed, hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoyed taking them (I swear there were thousands of people there, I am just a great photographer who made it look like I was the only one there). Add the cherry blossoms to your bucket list if it isn’t already there!                 Kathy

                                                                 Jefferson Memorial

                                                               Washington Monument

Got that perfect angle :)

This picture wasn't altered in any way!

No comments:

Post a Comment