Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Tips For an Easy Walk Day Celebration

June 5th will be my fourth Susan G. Komen Walk for the Cure in Washington DC. I am accompanied by family and friends and we turn it into a wonderful day of celebration and fellowship. The walk starts at 8:30am and usually has over 50,000 participants. It is the most energizing event we have ever participated in, it’s absolutely fabulous, I highly recommend it to everyone.


When the walk is over, we head back to my house for a celebration luncheon. Last year was the first year we celebrated with Celebrate In Pink partyware and it was one of the most happiest days of my life. To make your walk day celebrations memorable, easy and fun for everyone, here are a few of my tips:

  • Keep the menu simple. Since the walk starts early, everyone is starving when we get back to the house. Plan on items that can be put out and served immediately or items that can be set to low in a crock pot right before leaving the house.

  • Some of the menus that I have found to be a hit and easy to do are picnic salads such as potato and pasta, fruit salad, served with subs or a sandwich platter. If you prefer a hot lunch, make either sloppy joes or pork barbeque the day before. Put it in a crock pot before leaving for the walk, set it to low and it will be ready when you get home. Serve this with salads and you are good to go!

  • I always get a cake for dessert and mention our team. The cake is done in pink and white, has the pink ribbon on it and says something like “Way to go Team 4 2 go”. Our team name has changed each year because we have been counting down to my 5 year milestone. This year we are 5 & Done, We Won!

  • I can’t tell you how special the Celebrate In Pink partyware made the event last year. It really reinforced the sentiment of the day and reason for the celebration. I highly recommend the partyware (wink wink) A pink plastic tablecloth and plastic ware completes the table and sets the spirit for the occasion.

I look forward to this celebration every year, it has become a tradition for us and I hope it becomes one of yours. Please share your walk day pictures with us so we can show others how much fun, meaning and importance these walks are to us. To all of our walk angels….here’s to a great walk!



No comments:

Post a Comment