Monday, March 22, 2010

Do Your Homework First

Many women let the words “you have breast cancer” mean they have to hurry up and get rid of it. I am not suggesting that you don’t, but what I am suggesting is before jumping into a treatment plan blindly, take some time and become knowledgeable about the disease that will now consume all of your time.

For example, when I received my diagnosis, I was given a list of surgeons to call. Just so happens that the surgeon who removed my gallbladder was top on the list. I thought it was odd that a surgeon who removed gallbladders also removes cancer. My husband thought we should call this surgeon and get the process going as soon as possible. I on the other hand, wanted to learn as much about this disease as I could and make decisions based on what I learned.

I read an excellent book “The Breast Cancer Survival Manual” by John Link, M.D. It is a great resource for newly diagnosed women with breast cancer written as a step by step guide and easy to understand. In reading this book and talking with my doctor I realized that I had some time (4-6 weeks) to research and arrive at what I thought was best for me.
One of the first things I decided was that I wanted a surgeon who specialized in removing cancer from breasts not a general surgeon to remove my cancerous tumor. So that is who is sought. I also realized that a second opinion on the biopsy is important since this is what the treatment is based on. I am glad I did this too, as there was a minor difference that was found with my biopsy.

My point in all of this is…be your own advocate. Make sure you learn everything you can so that when you are presented with options you are better equipped to choose the one that is best for you. I took about 3 weeks to research and learn as much as I could. I am so glad I did as I believe it made a huge difference for me in making the decisions that I did. Give yourself the gift of time and do your homework first…

No comments:

Post a Comment