Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Easy Way to Get Your Attitutde of Gratitude

November is such a great month for reflection. It’s an ideal time to start a gratitude practice or reinforce the one we already have. I started my gratitude practice after I was diagnosed with breast cancer and can’t begin to tell you what a difference it has made in my life. The good news is, you don’t have to face adversity to begin a practice of gratitude; you can start that today. I promise you, you will be amazed at the change your life will take.

If you get into a routine and follow it daily, you should see a change in your attitude and outlook between weeks 4 and 6. I was never one for a daily writing routine so it was difficult for me in the beginning but I stuck with it and to my surprise I actually look forward to writing in my gratitude journal. Here are some easy tips to get you started:
  • Select a pretty notebook size spiral journal as your gratitude journal. Pick something that will make you feel good every time you open it. I find the spiral type works best for me.
  • Write in it first thing in the morning or last thing in the evening. I find doing it at the end of the day is a nice way to reflect back on the day.
  • Keep your entries short and sweet, 3 to 5 works well. Be sure to use your journal for gratitude entries only and nothing else. You will enjoy reading back on the entries at the end of the month.
Sometimes we don’t start journals because we don’t know what kind of entries to post. The very essence of a gratitude practice is finding everyday ‘small’ things to be grateful for. Let me get you started by sharing a sample post from my gratitude journal:
  • Enjoyed a wonderful dinner with Shawn (my son) tonight, don’t get to see him much since he moved out. It’s always nice being together.
  • I’m grateful for my automatic washer and dryer, it makes doing laundry a breeze. I remember hearing stories from my grandmother how she had to do laundry.
  • Modern medicine is wonderful, that Tylenol I took for my headache really did the trick.
As you can see, it won’t be very difficult to find things in your day to fill your gratitude journal. When we become thankful for the very things we take for granted, things start to come into perspective. You may not be able to get together with your son, doing laundry could take a lot longer and be much more involved and you may have to live with that headache. How’s that for perspective?

Combine this practice with giving thanks before you get out of bed each day (something short and sweet that starts the day in the right way) and you are well on your way to a more fulfilled life.

These are the basic practices that transformed my life into an attitude of gratitude; I hope they help move you in that same direction. I would love to hear about your progress and from those with tips to share from their practice.

Gratefully Yours,

No comments:

Post a Comment